What Are Pores?If you’ve ever seen a skincare commercial or visited a spa, you’ve heard the term “pores” tossed around. While you may have a general idea of what this term refers to, you may not actually know what it means. The term “pore” simply refers to an opening in the surface of the skin where microscopic particles can pass through. More specifically, your pores are the opening at the top of the hair follicles. Pores are found on the surface of your skin. They are located at the top of each hair follicle, and it is where the skin releases the sebum (oil) produced naturally in the skin. The appearance of your pores can change over time and may be influenced by a number of things, including genetics, environmental factors, and various skin problems.
What Do You Need to Know About Pores?The most important thing you need to keep in mind about your pores is that their size and appearance is largely determined by genetics. Your skin type has an impact on the way your pores look, and that is not necessarily something you can control. Most people have mixed pore sizes, which means that combination skin is very common – this manifests in the form of an oily T-zone with larger pores and drier skin with smaller pores on the cheeks. Because pore size is primarily determined by genetics, you can’t control it – you can, however, purify them and refine them to minimize their appearance. One of the most important steps in minimizing the appearance of your pores is cleansing and purifying. When your pores are clogged with oil, bacteria, and other debris, they can become inflamed and will become more apparent. When your pores are clean and clear, they will appear smaller and less noticeable, which results in a smoother tone and texture for your skin as a whole. Though you can’t change your pore size, you can control or react to certain environmental factors that may impact the size and appearance of your pores. Read on to learn more.
Tips for Purifying and Minimizing Your PoresThe key to minimizing the appearance of your pores is to purify and refine them to make them appear smaller. Smaller pores mean smoother, younger-looking skin, which is what anyone wants. To achieve smaller pores, it is important to follow a regular skincare routine consisting of cleansing, detoxifying, exfoliating, and hydrating products. Regular deep-pore cleansing facials with physical or chemical extraction paired with a clay mask is the best way to keep your pores purified while minimizing their appearance for long-lasting benefits. Here are some tips for purifying and minimizing pores:
- Review your skincare products and make sure they are properly suited to your skin type (dry, oily, sensitive, or combination).
- Limit your use of drying products like salicylic acid (used to treat acne) because over use can irritate and dry out your skin, increasing the appearance of your pores.
- Choose a gentle cleanser and use it twice daily – once in the morning and before bed at night.
- Exfoliate one to two times per week to avoid over-stripping your skin – other than gommage, avoid exfoliation if you’re experiencing a breakout that’s inflamed.
- Moisturize your skin to keep your skin hydrated and to avoid dryness – choose a moisturizer appropriate for your skin type.
- Use clay masks to remove oil, dirt, and dead skin from your pores – this is the best way to purify and detoxify your pores to minimize their appearance.
- Always wear sunblock when you go outside to protect your skin from harmful UVA and UVB rays that can damage your skin.
- Completely remove your makeup before going to bed and apply a moisturizer or night cream to repair and hydrate the skin.
Recommended At-Home Products to Minimize PoresCleansing is an essential element of any at-home skincare routine, but it is particularly important for purifying and minimizing the appearance of your pores. To get the best result, choose a cleanser that is well suited to your skin type and your individual skin care needs. Here are some of the top Yon-Ka at-home treatments we recommend for home skincare:
- Masque 103 – Designed for normal to oily skin, this triple clay mask detoxifies and deeply cleanses the pores to minimize their appearance. Featuring three separate purifying clays, this mask promotes a clearer complexion with Yon-Ka essential oils for a balancing effect.
- Masque 105 – This clay mask is uniquely formulated for dry or sensitive skin. While many masks dry the skin to make skin problems worse, Masque 105 is specially formulated to deliver the detoxification and purification for skin that is already prone to dryness and sensitivity.
- Gommage Yon-Ka – A gentle, non-granular exfoliating gel, Gommage Yon-Ka purifies the skin while hydrating and brightening it. Featuring carbo extract, this treatment acts as a natural astringent that tightens pores and firms the skin while lime essential oil offers brightening benefits to improve your skin’s radiance.
- Guarana Scrub – Designed for dual complexion in all skin types, this exfoliating scrub features 11 active plant extracts including Amazonian guarana seed, organic rice bran powder, and a number of essential oils to soften, purify, and detoxify the skin.