The Top 9 Fall Skincare Mistakes to AvoidYou’ve probably already developed a daily skincare routine that works for you and your skin. Maybe you start your day with a foaming cleanser, following it up with some toner and a light moisturizer. During the summer, you want to keep things light, so you don’t overload your skin with too much oil. As the leaves start to change, however, so should your skincare routine. Here are some of the top skincare mistakes you should avoid this coming fall:
- Avoid harsh scrubs. A gritty exfoliator can leave your skin feeling fresh in the heat of summer, but it can dry out and irritate your skin as the heat and humidity dissipates. Switch to a gentler exfoliator and cleanser in the fall to keep your skin balanced.
- Don’t start skipping the daily SPF. Though the temperature may be in decline, you still need to protect your skin against the sun’s UV rays when you go outside. Even in the winter, sun damage can cause dryness, sunburn, and sunspots.
- Avoid eating too many sugary or processed foods. It can be tempting to overindulge in carb-heavy snacks and meals, especially as the holidays roll around, but these foods can wreak havoc on your skin (and your waistline). Enjoy in moderation!
- Avoid excessive use of drying acne treatments. Your skin is likely to become a little dryer in the fall, so avoid using the wrong acne products that might irritate your dry, sensitive skin. A good cleanser is the first product you need in your fight against acne and rebalancing the skin.
- Don’t use alcohol-infused skincare products. Many toners are made with alcohol which can leave your skin feeling dry and tight. This can lead to even more extreme dryness in the cooler weather. Instead, consider a toner such as Lotion Yon-Ka, made with natural astringents such as cypress essential oil.
- Avoid skincare products that contain soap. Cleansing your skin is extremely important, but you should use a balancing cleanser in the fall (especially if you’re already prone to dry skin) instead of one made with soap that could further dry out your skin and alter its pH balance.
- Don’t wait too long after cleansing to moisturize. After cleansing your skin, you should immediately apply your toner and moisturizer. Particularly in the cooler months, waiting more than 60 seconds after cleansing to moisturize may give your skin time to start drying out.
- Avoid applying too many skincare products right before bed. It’s important to remove your makeup and cleanse your skin before bed, but don’t pile on too many serums or moisturizers before you hit the hay. If you have multiple skincare needs, alternate the products you use seasonally instead of using them all at once and reducing their efficacy.
- Don’t use products that aren’t formulated for your skin type. Using the wrong skincare products is just as damaging as using the right products incorrectly. If you’re not sure what your skin type is, ask your esthetician.
Adjustments to Make in Your Fall Skincare RoutineFall is a time of colorful foliage and comfy sweaters. It is also a time of cooler weather and seasonal change. As the seasons change, so should your skincare routine. Here are 5 simple adjustments you should make in your fall skincare routine:
- Switch to a moisturizing cream. Fluid moisturizers tends to be more lightweight and ideal for summer when you want to avoid putting anything too heavy on your face. In the fall, however, you may want to switch to a heavier moisturizing cream to keep your skin hydrated and protected against the cold.
- Try using a hydrating body wash. During the summer, it’s nice to use a fruity shower gel to wash up but in the fall, you want to focus more on hydrating your skin. Try a body wash with moisturizing ingredients.
- Limit your exfoliating. Your skin is more prone to dryness and irritation during the fall and winter, so you may want to limit how often you exfoliate. Of course, the amount of times you exfoliate in the cooler months depends on your skin type.
- Keep your showers short and sweet. Personal hygiene is important all year-round, but as the weather cools down it can be tempting to stay in the hot shower as long as possible. The hot, humid atmosphere in your bathroom can strip your skin of its protective oils, so ideally keep it to 15 minutes or less.
- Add a facial oil to your daily routine. In the heat of summer, not everyone likes to use a facial oil. In fall and winter, however, a facial oil rich in antioxidants can help hydrate and nourish your skin. Consider any of Yon-Ka’s Boosters, depending on your skincare goals.
The Top Yon-Ka Paris Products for Fall SkincareSkincare products are a dime a dozen, but they are not all created equally. Not only do you need to choose the right products for your skin type, but you need to make sure the products you choose are properly formulated and effective. Here are some of the best Yon-Ka Paris products to incorporate into your fall skincare routine:
- Nutri Defense – Designed to comfort very dry skin, this nutritious formula features essential fatty acids as well as hydrating agents and antioxidants to deliver immediate and long-lasting results. It combats the signs of premature aging and soothes tightness and irritation as well. Apply in the morning and/or evening after cleansing for the best results.
- Alpha Peel – This renewing night concentrate moisturizes the skin and renews its outer layers for complete rejuvenation. It is an anti-wrinkle exfoliating gel concentrate made with a rich blend of alpha hydroxy acids to refine the complexion and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Apply daily in the evening for one month.
- Alpha Fluid – This hydrating anti-wrinkle moisturizer emulsion is formulated for all skin types and features a bountiful collection of fruit extracts and alpha hydroxy acids. It smooths fine lines and wrinkles while hydrating and soothing the skin to restore its natural glow and soft complexion. Apply in the morning after cleansing and toning for the best results. Follow with an application of SPF 25 or higher.