What Are the Benefits of Clay Masks?Clay has been used in alternative medicine for centuries dating as far back as 60 B.C. and Aristotle himself – nicknamed the Father of Medicine – touted its therapeutic benefits. Natural clay is derived from the Earth itself and is rich in minerals. It offers detoxifying and purifying benefits which make it particularly beneficial as a skincare ingredient. Here are the top 7 benefits of clay masks for your skin:
- Draws out impurities. Over the course of the day, oil, dirt, and other impurities can build up on the surface of your skin and deep in your pores – clay helps draw out those impurities.
- Brightens dull complexion. Natural clay masks deliver gentle exfoliation, helping remove dead skin cells from the surface of the skin, leaving you with a brighter complexion.
- Mattifies oily skin. Clay masks can help absorb excess oil and balance the oil production in your skin – this may also help reduce the severity or frequency of acne breakouts.
- Refines the look of pores. You can’t actually change the size of your pores, but clay masks can help reduce their appearance, giving you a smoother complexion.
- Boosts circulation. Natural clay can improve circulation to the skin, helping deliver oxygenated blood and nutrients to the skin to support healing and regeneration.
- Balances oil production. For combination skin, clay masks can help balance oil production in the skin without making it become overly dry or irritated.
- It fights breakouts. Applying a clay mask to active acne breakouts helps soothe irritation and reduce inflammation while also absorbing excess oil and bacteria to prevent future breakouts.
Two Natural Clay Masks from Yon-Ka ParisFor more than 65 years, Yon-Ka’s plant cell active-based skincare regimens have been delivering natural and scientifically proven results. Clay, a traditional skincare ingredient, is the foundation for two purifying masks – Masque 103 and Masque 105 – which purify the skin, tighten pores, and balance out excess oil production. These formulations are made with a 30% concentration of Yon-Ka’s unique triple-clay blend which features the following types of clay:
- Kaolin – A white Chinese clay, kaolin is used to balance oil production and refine the skins texture and appearance.
- Bentonite – A beige French clay, bentonite is used to tighten the pores.
- Montmorillonite – A green French clay, montmorillonite detoxifies and oxygenates the skin.
Tips for Using Clay Masks ProperlyClay masks can be beneficial for all skin types, delivering purifying and detoxifying effects at all ages. Not only are clay masks highly effective, but they are gentle on the skin and easy to apply. That being said, there are a few things to keep in mind when using clay masks. Here are some simple tips for using clay masks:
- Start by cleansing the skin to remove dirt, oil, and makeup from the surface of the skin.
- Apply the mask in a thin, even layer – it should be opaque but not overly thick.
- Wait 10 to 15 minutes for the mask to process on your skin before removing it.
- Wet a washcloth with lukewarm water and use it to gently wipe the mask off your skin.
- Pat your skin dry then apply Lotion Yon-Ka and your preferred moisturizer.