What is Hyaluronic Acid and How Does it Work?Though the name may sound a bit scary, hyaluronic acid holds the key to hydration. Sometimes listed on skincare labels as simply “HA”, hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring substance in the human body. In its natural form, hyaluronan or hyaluronic acid is a clear, gooey substance found in the heaviest concentration in the skin, eyes, and connective tissues. The main function of hyaluronic acid is to retain water in order to keep the tissues moist and well lubricated so they can move freely. Hyaluronic acid works by binding to water, improving overall hydration. It also plays a role in regulating inflammation and may help wounds heal faster by signaling to the body to build more blood vessels in the area that has been damaged. Because hyaluronic acid is a substance produced in the body, it rarely causes allergic reactions.
The Top 9 Skin Benefits of Hyaluronic AcidHyaluronic acid is a humectant which means it attracts and holds water. In fact, HA can hold up to 1,000 times its weight in water. By increasing hydration and improving the skin’s ability to retain moisture, hyaluronic acid provides a variety of benefits depending on the molecular weight. Heavy weight HA delivers immediate hydration to the skin’s surface while low-weight HA penetrates deeper into the epidermis and dermis for longer lasting hydration. Here are the top skin benefits of this hydrating ingredient:
- By delivering increased hydration, it can create a plumping effect to make the skin look fuller
- It may help smooth the skin, reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- With its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, it may help wounds heal faster
- It has antioxidant properties which may act as a shield against skin-damaging free radicals
- By improving hydration, it may counter the effects of reduced elastin production for tighter skin
- It helps fortify and protect the skin’s natural barrier that locks in moisture and keeps out toxins
- By improving hydrating and fortifying the skin’s barrier, it promotes skin cell regeneration
- When paired with other ingredients like vitamin C, it may help reduce pigmentation issues
- It may help improve skin clarity and balance oil production in stripped and dehydrated skin
Recommended Yon-Ka Products Featuring Hyaluronic AcidBy harnessing the power of natural ingredients like hyaluronic acid, Yon-Ka Paris delivers scientifically proven results for all skin types. Yon-Ka obtains their HA through the bio-fermentation of bacteria and our different products utilize hyaluronic acid with different molecular weights. What makes Yon-Ka products made with HA truly unique, however, is their patented filling microspheres technology. Yon-Ka Paris products in the Excellent Code and Time Resist lines are made with filling microspheres of konjac root loaded with low-weight hyaluronic acid. This allows the microspheres fill in deep lines and wrinkles, plumping the skin while the hyaluronic acid is slowly released for long-lasting, all day hydration. Here are some of the top Yon-Ka products made with hyaluronic acid:
- Hydra No. 1 Serum – Deliver intense, long-lasting moisture with this hydrating serum packed with a double dose of low-weight hyaluronic acid. This creamy, refreshing gel absorbs quickly and penetrates deep into the skin for rapid relief from dehydration. Apply either Hydra No. 1 Fluide or Crème overtop of the serum.
- Hydra No. 1 Crème – The ultimate solution for dry, dehydrated skin this rich cream contains two forms of hyaluronic acid. Not only does it enhance moisture, but it prevents further water loss while leaving the skin looking plump and smooth.
- Hydra No. 1 Fluide – This lightweight mattifying moisturizer contains both low-weight and heavy weight hyaluronic acid to balance the complexion, plump the skin, and deliver time-released hydration.
- Advanced Optimizer Serum – This tightening serum firms and lifts the skin by building collagen. The fluid absorbs quickly and works best when paired with the complementary cream below – apply both in the morning or evening to the face and neck.
- Advanced Optimizer Crème – Both this restructuring cream and the complementary serum contain heavy weight hyaluronic acid to hydrate and plump the skin. This rich cream helps conserve collagen, and contains added hydrating ingredients like marine collagen and milk peptides.
- Alpha Contour – Made with heavy weight hyaluronic acid and a revitalizing blend of fruit acids, this contour gel softens the delicate area around the lips and eyes to renew and refresh the skin for reduced visible signs of aging.