What is Acne and How Does it Form?Your skin is the largest organ in your body, and it is covered with pores. Pores are tiny openings in the skin that release natural oils and sweat. Oil pores, also known as your hair follicles, cover your entire body except for the skin on your lips, palms, and the soles of your feet – they are connected to oil glands beneath the surface. You also have sweat pores, but they are so small you’re unlikely to notice them. Your pores play an important role in protecting your skin’s health and wellness. Each hair follicle is connected to a sebaceous gland (oil gland) below, and the hair allows the natural oil to reach the skin’s surface. This oil, known as sebum lubricates the skin, keeping it smooth and supple. The problem happens when your pores become clogged, and more of that oil becomes trapped below the surface. Every acne blemish begins as a blocked pore. Pores can become clogged with excess oil, dirt, makeup, dead skin cells, and bacteria, which leads to inflammation and various types of blemishes such as blackheads and papules.
What Causes Chest Acne?According to the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD), acne is the most common skin condition in the United States – it affects up to 50 million people each year. Though most commonly seen in teens and young adults, it can also affect adults (especially women) in their 30s through 50s. Acne can appear anywhere on the body, but chest acne is linked to several specific causes:
- Hormone fluctuations
- Dry skin or sun damage
- Overuse of comedogenic moisturizers
- Skin allergies
- Eating too much sugar
- Working out
Simple Tips for Reducing AcneIf you experience severe and/or painful acne breakouts, you may want to consult your dermatologist. In the meantime, there are some simple lifestyle changes you can make to help. Here are some simple tips for reducing acne:
- Shower every day, especially after working out. You don’t necessarily need to wash your hair every day, but taking a daily shower is essential to remove sweat, excess oil, and other debris that can clog your pores and cause chest acne.
- Take a closer look at your diet. They say you are what you eat, and it is definitely true that certain foods can affect your skin. Try to limit your intake of sugar and dairy because these foods can cause inflammation and mess with your hormones.
- Exfoliate on a regular basis. Exfoliating once or twice a week will help remove dead skin cells from the surface, so they don’t clog your pores. Just be sure to choose an exfoliant appropriate for your skin type because the wrong exfoliant can damage your skin and make acne worse.
- Spot treat at the first sign of trouble. When you feel a pimple forming or a breakout coming on, be proactive by using a spot treatment. You might not prevent the breakout entirely, but you can minimize it.
- Change your body lotion. Using heavy or oily skin care products can clog your pores. Switch to a lotion that is appropriate for your skin type and look for the word “non-comedogenic” to make sure it won’t clog your pores.
- Switch to hypoallergenic products. If you suspect that your acne issues are related to sensitive skin or skin allergies, switch to hypoallergenic products for things like laundry detergent.
- Stop popping and picking at pimples. As tempting as it may be to pop that pimple, doing so could cause the blemish to heal poorly and may increase the risk of scaring. Try covering it with a pimple patch or a dab of concealer instead.
- Drink plenty of water. Keeping your skin hydrated is essential for health, and it helps your body expel toxins. Drink at least 8 glasses of water per day to reap the maximum benefit.
Recommended Yon-Ka Paris Products to Treat Chest AcneSpot treatments may help with the occasional blemish, but if you experience severe breakouts, you might need professional help. In addition to a variety of salon and spa treatments, Yon-Ka Paris also offers a large collection of at-home skincare products to cleanse, exfoliate, and purify your skin to reduce chest acne. Here are some of the top at-home acne treatments Yon-Ka Paris has to offer:
- Gommage Doux Detox – This cream scrub harnesses the exfoliating action of bamboo and apricot kernel powder to remove dirt, debris, and dead skin cells to cleanse your pores. It also contains the hydrating and restructuring properties of mango butter and sesame oil to leave your skin smooth and hydrated. Apply once weekly, massaging for a few minutes before rinsing.
- Juvenil – A clearing and soothing solution for all skin types, this product gently purifies the skin and reduces inflammation. It features ichthyol to purge acne lesions and calendula to soothe inflammation and reduce redness. Apply twice daily for the best results.
- Emulsion Pure – A multifaceted skin treatment, this product can be used as a spot treatment for everything from blemishes to bug bites. It is non-oily, non-comedogenic, and quickly absorbed to purify the skin, reduce blemishes, and tighten Apply twice daily with a cotton pad for 10 to 15 minutes.