What Role Does Estrogen Play in the Body?Hormones are chemical messengers that travel through the blood to the various organs and tissues where they impact different aspects of bodily function. Some of the processes hormones help regulate include the following:
- Growth and development
- Hunger and thirst
- Digestion and metabolism of food
- Sexual function and reproductive health
- Mood and cognitive function
- Body temperature maintenance
How Does it Affect Your Skin?Your skin is the largest organ in your body. It forms a protective physical barrier against environmental hazards, helps regulate your internal body temperature, and provides an exodus for the excretion of bodily fluids like oil and sweat. The condition of your skin changes frequently, impacted by everything from the weather outside to your hormone levels internally. Estrogen, in particular, plays a prominent role in skin health. Estrogen levels have been associated with an increase in collagen production, skin hydration, skin thickness, wound healing, and barrier function. Though hormone levels fluctuate naturally, the most significant changes occur during puberty and menopause. These are also the periods in which you are most likely to notice significant changes in the health, tone, and complexion of your skin. Hormonal breakouts, for example, are very common in pre-menopausal women. Changing estrogen levels can also lead to noticeable changes to your skin. You may find that your skin becomes dry, thin, and slack. As estrogen levels fall, your thinning skin may bruise more easily and it may lose some of its ability to hold water, making it quite dry. You may be more prone to age spots and sun damage, and your skin will lose collagen more quickly which can lead to an increase in fine lines and wrinkles. Some women also develop teenage-like acne in the early stages of menopause. As changing hormone levels impact your skin, daily skincare becomes even more important. You may need to make adjustments to your skincare regimen to support your mature skin and to counteract the effects of changing estrogen levels. Read on to learn more.
Recommended Products for Hormonally Imbalanced SkinThe best thing you can do for your skin during a hormonal imbalance is treat it with care. Whether you’re looking for a quality cleanser to not strip your dry, moisture-deprived skin or a gentle exfoliant to deliver age-defying results, you can trust the professionals at Yon-Ka Paris. Here are some of the top Yon-Ka Paris products to help you adjust your skincare routine to your changing hormone levels:
- Elixir Vital – A deeply repairing elixir featuring beech bud and soy peptides, this treatment is designed for all damaged and fatigued skin. It is particularly beneficial for hormonally imbalanced skin caused by pregnancy, lactation, birth control, or changing menstrual cycles. Shake well and apply morning and evening after cleansing and toning to the face and neck.
- Excellence Code Crème – Formulated specifically for the needs of mature, hormonally depleted skin, this treatment addresses everything from fine lines and wrinkles to dark spots, dryness, lack of radiance, and barrier repair. Apply morning and evening after cleansing to the face and neck. For an enhanced anti-aging effect use after Cellular Code Serum.
- Phyto 58 – Part of the Age Defense lineup, this invigorating, regenerating night cream erases visible signs of aging and fatigue to deliver clarifying, detoxifying, and tightening effects. It tightens pores and tones down pigmentation to restore radiance to dull skin and works well for normal to oily skin types. Apply in the evening after cleansing and toning to the face and neck. Also available in a dry skin formula.
- Hydra No. 1 Masque – Another element in the Age Defense lineup, this intensely hydrating and repairing mask delivers time-releasing hydration with anti-aging effects. A gel-cream mixture with a lovely floral scent, this mask imparts both immediate and long-lasting hydration to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles while soothing all types of damaged skin. Apply a generous amount to the face, neck, and décolleté 1 to 3 times per week after cleansing and toning. Can be used as a classic mask or as an overnight sleeping mask.
- Advanced Optimizer Serum – This firming booster serum belongs to the Age Correction line of products and works in conjunction with Advanced Optimizer Crème to reactivate the skin components responsible for firmness. It features natural active ingredients like hibiscus peptides, marine collagen, and wild rose to boost firmness and hydrate tired skin. Use both in a 30-day intensive treatment, morning and evening, after cleansing and toning.