What is Acne and What Causes It?The American Academy of Dermatology names acne the most common skin condition in the United States. Though occasional breakouts are a common issue among teens and adolescents, even adults can be plagued by acne, and adult acne tends to affect women more than men. Acne occurs when the pores become clogged with dead skin cells and oils, causing whiteheads and blackheads to form on or just beneath the surface of the skin. These blemishes typically form on the face, forehead, chest, upper back, and shoulders because these are the areas of the body with the highest sebum (oil) production. Anyone can develop acne at any time, but there are some triggers and risk factors to keep in mind. Here are some of the most common causes of adult acne:
- Fluctuating hormones (particularly in women)
- Chronic or acute stress
- Family history of acne or skin problems
- Using the wrong skincare products
- Side effects of medication
- A diet high in processed sugar and refined grains
- Smoking and other activities that cause skin inflammation
Why Natural Remedies are BestAcne can range in severity from the occasional mild breakout to chronic, widespread breakouts accompanied by inflammation. Many people who suffer from severe acne turn to their dermatologists for prescription-strength medications. There are also acne medications made with chemical ingredients such as the following:
- Benzoyl Peroxide – In skincare products, this ingredient kills bacteria to prevent it from clogging the pores. It helps reduce redness and inflammation and may also reduce bacterial infections. It comes in several concentrations, starting around 2.5%. Benzoyl Peroxide is available both over the counter and in prescription strength.
- Salicylic Acid – This ingredient removes the excess skin cells that get trapped in the pores, mixing with sebum and bacteria to cause breakouts. It is also Salicylic Acid can be naturally derived or synthetic.
- Antibiotics – All skin contains Propioni bacterium acnes, aka P. acnes, however there is an overabundance of this bacteria found on acneic skin. Antibiotics like clindamycin, erythromycin, and doxycycline can be used to treat bacterial problems and are available by prescription.
Look for These Natural Ingredients in Anti-Acne Products
- Aloe Vera – Moisturization is the key to healthy skin, and aloe vera is a natural moisturizer. It also naturally contains sulfur and salicylic acid, two ingredients that work well against acne.
- Burdock – this root extract is purifying and balancing to the skin. It also naturally contains vitamin A, vitamin E, various B vitamins, minerals and sulfur, so it’s anti-oxidant rich and anti-inflammatory.
- Chamomile – Applied topically, chamomile offers anti-inflammatory and analgesic benefits. It also boosts immunity, heals inflammatory skin conditions, lightens pigmented skin, and reduces acne breakouts.
- Essential Oils – There are a variety of essential oils known to provide anti-acne benefits. Lime essential oil offers both antibacterial and antioxidant benefits. Thyme essential oil is a potent anti-septic and rosemary essential oil is highly detoxifying.
- Lactic Acid – A type of alpha hydroxy acid (AHA), lactic acid reduces acne breakouts as well as the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. It is also a natural exfoliator.
- John’s Wort – Derived from the flowers of the Hypericum perforatum plant, St. John’s wort extract offers healing benefits while also smoothing and firming the skin.
- Witch Hazel – Made from the bark of the North American witch hazel shrub, this extract contains tannins which are known for their antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. In addition to fighting acne and reducing skin inflammation, witch hazel can be used to tone skin.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – This liquid is rich in magnesium, potassium, and acetic acid as well as certain enzymes that kill bacteria in the skin making it antibacterial.
Yon-Ka Paris Acne-Fighting ProductsIf you are prone to acne or even just sporadic breakouts, look into the following solutions from Yon-Ka Paris which help naturally fight breakouts at their source.
- Juvenil: Rescue skin afflicted with spots and imperfections with this powerful, alcohol-free topical treatment booster that spot treats blemishes quickly and effectively. It is rich in anti-bacterial, antiseptic, and healing ingredients such as ichthyol, lactic acid, essential oil of lime, Quintessence Yon-Ka, and more.
- Emulsion Pure: Address the unique needs of your skin with this purifying and regenerating treatment emulsion that is essential for those who suffer from chronic breakouts. With a potent concentration of Yon-Ka Quintessence, this multi-action medicine cabinet in a bottle can be used before and after waxing, on sunburn, on insect bites, and on old scars for purifying, soothing, and regenerating effects.
- Crème 15: Purify oily, blemish-prone skin with this antiseptic treatment cream that also calms angry skin and prevents the appearance of small pimply rashes after hair removal. It includes ingredients such as burdock, sage, birch, essential oil of lime, Quintessence Yon-Ka, mallow, chamomile, witch hazel, St John's Wort, and more.