What is Phytotherapy?Phytotherapy is a science-based practice that originated with a French physician named Henri Leclerc. He first coined this term back in 1913 and it’s known as the “use of plant-derived medications in the treatment and prevention of disease.” While many of us are used to pharmaceutical drugs as our conventional medication, plant-based medicines have been used successfully for hundreds of years in a variety of European and Asian cultures. In fact, many of the medications available today are derived from plants and plant extracts. One well-known example of phytotherapy is the use of St. John’s Wort. Some turn to this instead of antidepressants because it has been shown to provide relief for some without unpleasant side effects. Of course, it is important to consult with a doctor before treating yourself with any herbs! You can find St. John’s Wort in a variety of different Yon-Ka products, including Guarana Scrub and Crème 15 due to its ability to boost blood flow to the skin and regenerate. Another phytotherapy extract used is moringa. Known as the “tree of life”, moringa tree seeds are used to purify water to make it drinkable without using synthetic chemicals. Yon-Ka features moringa peptides, obtained from the seeds, in Vital Defense as an anti-pollution and purifying ingredient that fights environmental pollution.
Phytotherapy & the Yon-Ka QuintessenceAromatherapy is a highly specialized subcategory of phytotherapy, and plays an important role in the development of Yon-Ka’s “Quintessence”, a synergistic expression of 5 aromatic essential oils. Each one serves a distinct purpose and provides a unique benefit in providing healthy, glowing skin. If you’ve tried any Yon-Ka products before, then you’re probably pretty familiar with our Quintessence. But if you haven’t, you might be wondering what’s inside…
- Lavender oil provides calming, healing, and anti-inflammatory properties. This makes it perfect for soothing irritated skin, plus it’s great for those who suffer for acne since it can help keep inflammation away.
- Geranium has anti-aging properties to prevent sagging skin and wrinkles, which helps you keep that fresh, youthful look. Geranium oil also has anti-bacterial and oil-balancing properties that fight off breakouts so your skin can stay clear.
- Rosemary can treat skin issues such as aging, sun damage, and acne. And since rosemary contains iron, calcium, and vitamin B6, it can also support healthy collagen levels. The essential oil has potent lymph drainage attributes which improves the skins coloring and makes it appear sculpted and firm.
- Cypress oil from Provence, France has been proven to help heal wounds and infections, making it a great acne-fighting tool to have in your arsenal. It also supports the elasticity of the capillaries.
- Thyme oil is both a stimulant and provides antiseptic properties. It can help prevent breakouts without irritation, while also delivering your skin a boost of antioxidants thanks to manganese and vitamin K.